Be Part of the Solution to Drug Abuse and Addiction
Drug addiction and abuse is a disease of the family. We must come together with concrete solutions to prevent the next generation of kids from becoming victims to this terrible disease. Here is how.
Dayton Middle and High School has proudly sponsored a Drug Free Club of America for over five years. Our student participation rate has ranged from 10% to 20% of our student population. Let’s commit to a gutsy goal of 100% of our students as members.
• Almost 80% of America’s children under 18 have used alcohol.
• 50% have smoked marijuana or tried other drugs.
• Drugs now kill more people than any other non-natural cause.
• Approximately 1 in 12 Americans over the age of 12 is addicted to drugs.
• Drugs are the #1 cause of crime.
• 85% of the U.S. prison population were incarcerated for crimes committed while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
• 80% of kids in the juvenile justice system are there because of problems related to their substance abuse.
Our Nation on Drugs.
• Most drug use begins when people are young – 12 to 18 years of age.
• Median age of initial drug use is 14 and 90% of those addicted begin using before the age of 18.
• Every day an average of 8,120 people age 12 and over try drugs for the first time.
• 12,800 try alcohol.
• This totals more than 7 million people a year.
Why are teenagers so susceptible?
• The posterior subcortical region of the brain – where the go system resides – develops early.
• The prefrontal cortex – the site of the stop system – takes longer to mature.
• We give them a bike with no brakes!
• Studies have shown that the more popular a child and his friends are, the more likely they are to use drugs.
• A person who gets to the age of 21 without using drugs is virtually certain to never abuse or become addicted to them… so we must Delay! Delay!! Delay!!! the use of drugs and alcohol.
Why Drug Free Clubs of America?
What can you do?
We greatly appreciate your support! Please contact me for more information: Jay.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Respectfully submitted by: Jay Brewer
Proudly serving as Superintendent of Dayton Independent Schools